Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Kite Runner #2

In the second chapter of The Kite Runner, the speaker talks of his relationship with Hassan as a child. They used to sit in trees reflecting the sunlight off of mirrors into their neighbors' eyes, and collect berries and nuts to throw at the half blind cat's eye. Hassan is described, "I can still see Hassan up on that tree, sunlight flickering through the leaves on his almost perfectly round face, a face like a Chinese doll chiseled from hardwood: his flat, broad nose and slanting, narrow eyes like bamboo leaves, eyes that looked, depending on the lights, god, green, even sapphire" (Hosseini 3). This elaborate description shows the true friendship among the boys, and must have significance to further events. In the previous chapter, the speaker says how everything changed with Hassan and some other friends the summer when he traveled to Pakistan, I'm guessing as a type of foreshadowing. I'm looking forward to seeing how this relationship and the friendships with the other men mentioned in chapter one will reflect on the novel.

No comments: