Sunday, March 9, 2008
All The Pretty Horses #1
I've enjoyed the laid back style while reading All The Pretty Horses. I think it's interesting how Cormac McCarthy neglects quotation marks , and it makes the dialogue a lot smoother sounding. The only issue I've had is following the speaker at times, and understanding some of the events through the great amount of description that McCarthy uses. Despite this, I'm enjoying reading of the "wanna be" cowboys, and the trouble they get themselves into (or out of) while aspiring to own a ranch. I also believe Jimmy Blevins will become a significant character later on in the story, and him appearing earlier on is acting as a type of foreshadowing. With his superior horse and marksmanship, he brings in the possibility of death and injury to any character. One of my favorite characters to follow is Rawlins, because he is so random and does or says spontaneous things to draw more attention to him as a character. A question I'm curious about is why he left with John Grady Cole in the first place if his life seemed fairly content, but hopefully this will be answered later on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment