Sunday, February 24, 2008
The Odyssey (End!)
This weekend I finally finished The Odyssey...I was actually pretty surprised by the ending after Odysseus finally killed all the suitors, and then their angered families rebelled against Odysseus and his reign. But Athena, who had the idea for Ithaca to be freed from the suitors after all, abrubtly ended the fighting, "And Athena handed down her pacts of peace between both sides for all the years to come..."(24.598-600) Finally, Ithaca is in peace and no brazen suitors will take over. There were a few interesting literary techniques and words I've also noticed while reading The Odyssey. First of all, the adapted language seems to be more recent and even kind of funny when they say things such as "catch my drift" and "If only" and other sayings. These sometimes throw me off when I'm reading because the stories are told with a type of older vocabulary and methods and then one of these sayings will come up and sound totally out of place. Also, just some of the swearing seems like phrasing that wouldn't be used as frequently in the Greek ages. Overall, I enjoyed reading the adventurous tales of Odysseus and all the the places where he ventured.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment