Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Odyssey #1

So far, I've enjoyed reading The Odyssey by Homer more than many of the other novels we've read in english class. The adventurous story reads faster than other books and is very engaging when you sit down and actually read it. Since I previously listened to the story line in sixth grade, the plot is easier to follow and identify the events that are taking place. Currently, I am a little behind in the books and am reading book 14, after Odysseus returned to Ithaca. Everything seems pretty familiar because we also made detailed drawings of events in sixth grade, so I can refer back to those also if I have any question. For the class assignment, our group is working on books 21-22. These are the ending books where Odysseus is in Ithaca and disguises himself as an old man as a part of the plot to drive away and kill all of the suitors taking over his house. Penelope is very relieved when she realizes her husband has finally returned and the suitors are finally gone. After the long journey Odysseus finally returned to his homeland and his family is restored.  

No comments: