Sunday, September 23, 2007
Outside Reading (Quarter 1)
For my Outside Reading book, I chose "Petal Pusher" by Laurie Lindeen. I am interested in this novel because it describes the journey to fame of a female indie rock musician from the 1980s to 1990s. In this sense, the text is easy to relate to, and I can also learn what the life of a professional musician resembles. The book is very relevant also because Laurie Lindeen is from the Midwest (Wisconsin), and she demonstrates an accurate representation of the music scene in the area. So far in the beginning of the novel Laurie describes her life during and after she drops out of college. The content varies from Laurie's job in waitressing on Martha's Vineyard and meeting Carly Simon to struggling in finding what she aspires to be. Laurie Lindeen also deals with the fear of supporting herself with music,especially for an all-girl band, but for the most part the book is written in a laid back tone. Lindeen also wrote the book in present tense to avoid any inaccurate perception on events that occurred. Overall, I am expecting the book to be a precise recount on a female performer's journey in the music business, including the struggles and highs of that lifestyle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I gotta say...I'm not surprised :P. But I'm pretty sure you'll like it...
Post a Comment