Sunday, September 30, 2007
Black Boy (end!)
After reading "Black Boy", I discovered some reoccurring themes and techniques that Richard Wright used. For example, how in the beginning of every chapter the first line was italicized. I think that this sort of emphasizes what the chapter is going to be about or Richard's emotions throughout the text. Along with that, hunger is something that Richard struggles with. Whenever I think of hunger, the first idea that comes to mind is physical, but Richard's yearning for knowledge, literature, equality, a supportive family, money, and to fulfill his dreams are significant also. I like the fact that Richard doesn't conform to all of the feelings of the other African Americans because I believe that's that mindset that leads him to a successful life. Usually, the select few that choose not to go with the flow end up making a larger influence in their time, and I feel like that's what Wright did by recapping all of these events in his memoir. I liked reading "Black Boy" because unlike all of the other novels about the south during the time of segregation, Wright succeeded in moving north. I guess it showed how hopes and dreams could make all the difference in the long term...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment