Sunday, December 9, 2007

Outside Reading #4

In the next few chapters of My Sister's Keeper the style of the writing and the perspective is changing. The first chapter was in Anna Fitzgerald's point of view and the following chapter is for Campbell Alexander, the attorney that Anna visited regarding suing her parents for the rights to her own body. Through the discussion that Anna and Alexander had in his office, more information on Kate's condition and Anna's purpose is revealed. Anna began to describe the procedures she was forced through to Alexander: "The first time I gave something to my sister, it was cord blood, and I was a newborn. She has leukemia-APL- and my cells put her into remission. The next time she relapsed, I was five and I had lymphocytes drawn from me, three times over, because the doctors never seemed to get enough of them the first time around. When that stopped working, they took bone marrow for a transplant. When Kate got infections, I had to donate granulocytes. When she relapsed again, I had to donate peripheral blood stem cells"(Picoult 21). Through that lengthy description, Anna's frustration is definitely evident and it is fairly reasonable to imagine why suing her parents is an option. After a while, Campbell Alexander's sympathy grows for her situation and her agrees to the case.

No comments: