Sunday, October 21, 2007

"Where are the Major Threats to the Environment?" Reflection

I was intrigued by the passage we read in class about causes and effects of threats to the environment. I agree with Jimmy Carter in many ways, and I almost wish he was the current president throughout the time era of global warming and greenhouse gas emissions. Of course the article is opinionated, but it really highlights the ignorance of the United States on this issue throughout George W. Bush's presidency. Not to say that all of the global warming issues are the government's fault, but there were definitely measures that should have been taken that were purposely disregarded in order to benefit America financially. I did not realize, before reading the article, all of the other countries that were involved in the prevention of global warming through the Kyoto Protocol like Germany, UK, Japan, and more. The fact that the US created the idea and then withdrew from it is irresponsible to the environment and other countries. Hopefully, the article also brought some of these thoughts to other people because I believe that everyone should begin to work towards a cleaner world.

No comments: